Search Artz of Culturez

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Trending Retro Fashion: The Return of the Pin Roll

Have you noticed that men urban fashion has been tapered with hints of the late 1980’s and early 1990’s fashion? Take a look around and you’ll see that pants are starting to fit a little more snug in the waist and even tighter in the ankles. Allow me to explain.


My reasoning came full circle while I was at brunch at Anderson’s 1949 in Montclair, N.J. This is where I saw these amazing, colorful Nike’s on one of the patrons. Turns out they were part of the Kobe Bryant Nike Collection, which were custom made and sold out in about three days. If you’re lucky, you can probably find them on eBay. 


@Doofygram and his Custom Made Nike's
I was allowed to snap a picture of the stylish kicks as long as I tagged the owner on Instagram. @Doofygram was a cool sport. As I was making a collage on PhotoGrid I noticed that the cuff of his jeans were rolled up. And not just any roll, it was the fold and roll from the late 1980’s and early 1990s. We called it the “Pin Roll.”

Z Cacaricci
Without asking @Doofygram’s age directly, I learned that he was 31 years old. Which means @Doofygram was just a little tyke when I was folding and rolling the bottom of my Z Cavaricci. “This style is coming back,” he said. “It’s a way to show off your shoes that you’ve spent money on.”

At first his reasoning didn’t make much sense to me because my 17 year old son rolls up his pants too. “Does your son wear Jordans?” @Doofygram asked. “Nope. He’s into Toms and Vans,” I said explaining that my son, who is a senior in high school, has his own unique style. Besides, I don’t have that kind of money to spend hundreds of dollars on sneakers just for show.

@Doofygram then brought the bottom of his friend’s pants to my attention. They had about a 2 inch scrunch on them. It’s similar to the bottom of sweatpants just a slightly larger. His friend also had some nice kicks and you can see every inch from ankle to sole. It was then everything started to make sense.

Think about it for a minute… The leg of most jeans and pants
Oversized 
covers the ankle part of sneakers and shoes. Some even covers the tops right over the laces and close to the toe of the shoe.

But how is it that these
30-something year old men are on the same fashion trend as a kid in high school? It turns out that only a few of my son’s classmates were rolling up their pant legs, which started in the summer of 2014. Now more and more teenagers are catching on but they didn’t know about the pin roll.

At first I thought my son was intentionally making his pants into high-waters. After three months I finally asked him what’s the deal with the rollups. “I just like the look but I wish they were tight above the ankles,” he said. That is when I showed him how to fold and roll. He was so ecstatic and wanted to know how I learned to do that. “Uh…this was the look back in the day for my generation,” I shared.

Come to think of if, the fold and roll/pin roll was also popular in the 1950’s. Remember The Greasers from the movie, The Outsiders and The T-Birds from the movie Grease?


The Greasers                           T-Birds    

I wonder how long the trend of rolled up pants will stick around and when will it resurface again.

Is there a retro style that made its way back into your closet? Leave a comment below or take a snapshot and share it with me on Instagram @tcs_views.


Do you know how to do a pin roll? There’s actually a YouTube video on that … click the play button below


Enjoy,

– @TCsViews

 

No comments:

Weekly E-Letter

There's nothing to think about, just signup for Arts + Cultures Recap right here, right now.